Welcome to Learning Disability: Essential Skills and Simulation Training (Virtual)
*Please note that this is a two Virtual day course*
Day 1: Monday 15th January 2024 09:30 to 16:30 delivered virtually
Day 2: Tuesday 16th January 2024 09:30-16:30 delivered virtually
This blended learning course is designed to enhance the skills of staff working within healthcare to improve the care provision for people with a learning disability. This course merges simulation scenarios with focused lecture sessions and workshops; where candidates can explore key issues surrounding LD with a range of clinical and non clinical experts. The two day course comprises of virtual lectures and workshops on day 1 and immersive simulation on day 2.
• For staff to develop the skills and knowledge to support patients and families living with a learning disability, in the context of the clinical setting.
• For staff to rehearse essential communication techniques to enhance practice in the care of patients with additional needs
• For staff to have a greater awareness and understanding of the importance of providing reasonable adjustments, in order to reduce health inequalities for people with learning disabilities.
• For staff to have an increased awareness of the challenges that people with learning disabilities face when accessing the hospital setting.
The topics which will be covered in this course are:
- Definitions of learning disability and reasonable adjustments
- Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty
- Behaviours of concerns
- Delivering Inclusive Hospital Care
- Communication toolkit building
- Application to clinical practice
- Immersive conversational simulation
Who should apply
All patient facing clinical staff who look after patients with learning disabilities.
Free for internal staff
£300 for external staff, payment can be made online below or via invoice.